I was a high school English teacher in Modesto, California from 1999 until 2003. During that time, I had a lot of experiences where I learned that it is really important for me to watch what I say.
One of these little life lessons came about in a comment I made about a student's fashion. Somewhere between high school and college, I had lost any smidgen of fashion awareness I may have once had. This led me to be quite surprised to see a girl walking into my classroom on a warm Spring day with a big silk flower coming up from the space between her big toe and the next toe over (What is the toe equivalent a pointy finger, anyway?)
My lack of fashion sense and a significant shift in clothing nomenclature led me to be even more surprise, and quite embarrassed in fact, when I said loudly and in front of a class of teenagers, "Hey, you have a big flower coming up out of your thong."
That was the day I painfully learned that what I used to call thongs are now called flip-flops and that girls who have barely begun to wear bras now wear panties that are barely anything at all.
It's been said that one's favorite topic of conversation is oneself. This blog lends to that idea. It is mostly autobiographical stories & pictures from my life, but I also hope others will contribute memories they have of me, stories they may someday tell their grand kids, or perhaps law enforcement, about this guy they know named Justin, hence, Justinography.
Abandon all hope ye who enter here
As I begin nearing middle age, I thought it was time to begin collecting my stories into one place. This will be helpful for a number of reasons. One of which is that I can save time by referring friends and family here time and time again as opposed to just telling them the same story several times over. Another helpful purpose of this blog will be to collect the stories before Alzheim... wait, what was I saying?
If you enjoy these bits of my Justinography, great. If you have your own stories or pictures involving me that you would like to contribute, and if the statute of limitations has expired, you are welcome to share them here, too.
If you enjoy these bits of my Justinography, great. If you have your own stories or pictures involving me that you would like to contribute, and if the statute of limitations has expired, you are welcome to share them here, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment
You are welcome to comment or contribute stories of you have of something Justinish. Please keep in mind, though, that my kids may read this blog someday, so be a little tasteful in the language you use.