Abandon all hope ye who enter here

As I begin nearing middle age, I thought it was time to begin collecting my stories into one place. This will be helpful for a number of reasons. One of which is that I can save time by referring friends and family here time and time again as opposed to just telling them the same story several times over. Another helpful purpose of this blog will be to collect the stories before Alzheim... wait, what was I saying?

If you enjoy these bits of my Justinography, great. If you have your own stories or pictures involving me that you would like to contribute, and if the statute of limitations has expired, you are welcome to share them here, too.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

When Being Witty Almost Got Me Killed

My previous post dealt with my disconnect from fashion. This story has something to do with that, but more than anything, it is about how saying something witty almost got me killed.

It was 1988 and I was 15. One winter night, I decided to go for a walk. I had this wool poncho made out of an old, green army blanket that I liked to wear on those really chilly 50° California nights. I also wore this knit cap my grandma had knitted me. Yeah, I know, maybe it was not too cool, but it was warm and come on, Grandma made it.

So there I was, walking around in the dark through the gritty underbelly of Vacaville's south-side. I popped into the Round Table pizza to see if anyone I knew was there, and in full disclosure, to use the bathroom. Hanging out front were some gangbangers and their girlfriends.

I am pretty sure that the guys would have left me alone had it not been for those girls. But, guys being guys, they wanted to impress their ladies. As I was leaving the restaurant, one of the guys called out, "Hey, you look like a condom."

As I continued to walk and without skipping a step, I turned around and said back, "I might look like a condom, but you guys are a bunch of big dicks." Yeah, I was a stone-cold killer potty mouth back then.

Well, again, these guys had their girls to impress. They started yelling; I kept walking. They got into their cars and came my way; I started running.

I spent the rest of the night playing cat-and-mouse with these guys until I got to a doughnut shop where a friend was working. From there, I called my sister who came and got me.

Moral of the story? I guess you could take your pick. One moral would be to watch what you wear out in public. Another would be to think before you speak. The moral to the story I prefer, though, is that thinking before you speak, the essence of being witty, is exactly what you do not want to do. Being a smartmouth can get you killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment or contribute stories of you have of something Justinish. Please keep in mind, though, that my kids may read this blog someday, so be a little tasteful in the language you use.